Monday, December 25, 2006

IF YOU JUST TELL THEM

I was sitting in the kitchen. Sabi (our servant) was washing the dishes & then she mop the floor. My Mom came in. Sabi why were you late again? She yelled at her. My bus...... Sabi was going to say something, when my Mom cut her off. That is not an excuse Sabi, she told her.
I had no idea what the excuse was. I decided to ask Sabi when my Mom won't be around. It was time for Zuher. We all made wudo & went to pray except Sabi. She was still working in the kitchen. I was shocked.
Because my Quran teacher told me," when it's time for salat you have to stop whatever you're doing". And yet I notice she wasn't even covering her hair, even in front of my father or uncle. Why? isn't she supposed to? I asked myself. When I've been told from everybody you have to cover your hair. (in front of nonmehrams) Wasn't my dad & uncle were nonmehram for her? Now I really wanted to talk to her. Later that day when my Mom went shopping I called her to my room. I told her to sit down when she came in. Then asked her about it. I don't know how to pray & nobody told me to cover. Do I have to? she asked me.
Yes, you do, I said.
She started to cry, I couldn't stop her she had to let those tears out.
I will teach you Sabi, don't cry, I said. She rubbed her blue eyes. She was so beautiful. You will? she asked. Yes, I answered.
That night I asked my parents to help her study after collage. My Mom was so mad. You little kiddy, how could you? they are our servents; if they started to learn who are going to work for us? You are forgetting something Mom. I'm not a kid & Prophet Muhammad (SAW) teach her to be nice with our servants. And there's nothing wrong if they'll learn. I see your point Aisha, my father said. Yes, you can teach her, my father said. My Mom couldn't say anymore.
I started to teach her. I was amazed how fast she was learning.
She learned her salat in a month. Then I stared to teach her reading & writing.
She finished her 1st quran in a year. Now she was memorizing some suras. She's so happy now. Now I see her covered from her head to toe, even in the hottest days.
One day my dad brought his friend's proposal for her. She was like, how could I? My Mom asked her Mom. She was happy to hear it.
She got married in the next two weeks. I was happy for her.
Thank you Aisha,if you haven't teached me I couldn't have learn anything. No Sabiha thank Allah. He had all planed, I just .....I did nothing I couldn't say anything else. Now I could teach my daughters. She was telling me. I started to laugh & she joined me, too. I looked at the sky & thought there was a big smile, too.

No comments: